New York Cheese Cake
Preserved by: Mona Schulman Avellino
This recipe was used at 'Top of the Sixes', a now defunct restaurant on the top floor of 666 Fifth Ave.
Make 1 day in advance and refrigerate overnight.
|Ingredients||Number of servings|
|Graham cracker crumbs||1/2 oz. ||1 1/2 oz. ||2 1/2 oz. |
|Cream cheese ||1 lb. 8 oz. ||4 lb. 8 oz. ||7 lb. 8 oz. |
|Granulated Sugar ||11 oz. (1 2/3 cups) ||2 lbs. 1 oz.||3 lbs. 7 oz. |
|Eggs, fresh ||9 1/4 oz. (4 extra large) ||1 lb. 12 oz.||2 lbs. 14 1/4 oz.|
|Vanilla ||1 tsp. ||1 Tbsp. ||1 Tbsp. 2 tsp. |
|Lemon Juice ||1 tsp. ||1 Tbsp. ||1 Tbsp. 2 tsp. |
|Sour Cream ||1 lb. 2 oz. (1 lb. + 1/4 cup)||3 lb. 6 oz. ||5 lb. 10 oz. |
To prepare pans:
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on the inside of a well buttered 9" spring form pan. Shake out excess crumbs.
To prepare batter:
- Mix cream cheese on No. 2 speed (Hobart Mixer) until soft, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually and cream well, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down bowl. Continue to beat on No. 2 speed 25-30 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and mix to blend. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Fold in sour cream by hand, using a wire whip.
- Weigh 3 lbs. 12 oz. Batter into prepared pan. Spread mixture evenly.
- Set filled pan in utility pan containing hot water.
- Bake in a 350° standard over for approximately 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours, until top begins to crack and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from water bath and let cool on a rack about 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan.
- Invert and unmold while still hot. Let stand until cool. Refrigerate overnight.
Service: 1 chilled portion (1/2") on a 7" plate or other dessert plate.
Marble Cheese Cake
- Prepare Pan and Batter following recipe above. Set aside 2 cups of batter.
- Melt 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels in sauce pan over low heat.
- Fold reserved batter into melted chocolate.
- Pour main batter into prepared pan. Top wth the chocolate batter.
- Draw knife through the batter.
- Bake and serve following recipe above.